Thursday, January 21, 2010

Why the Rush?

So recently I heard a freshman girl say: I'm not here to get a degree, I'm just going to get married."

Thought Process:
So wait let me get this straight your sepding all this money just to get a guy? YOUR ONLY 18!! Maybe 19 at the oldest....

Why is everyone in this rush to get married? What about everything in between graduating and getting married?

First off I'd just like to say: I love love. I am absolutely thrilled and ecstatic about how one day I will find that person who will make me what to be better and who I will not want to live without. However, note I did not say that I can't wait. I can wait. Actually I'm really scared to fall in love because I know that even really really really liking someones hurts.... So it's always worrisome when you decide to love someone but that's where trust comes in.

A few nights ago I got in a slightly heated conversation. I think I was the only one really speaking heatedly... ha ha. I tend to be a tad dramatic.

Apparently there are a lot of people in this world who can decide after a few weeks or a few DAYS if they are going to get married to someone (and if your religious like me, all of eternity).

I could never do that. I'm too indecisive. It takes me like ten minutes to decide I'm going to get a chocolate, chocolate dipped large cone from Dairy Queen. And that's what I ALWAYS get...


Note: Good memories. This photo is of when one of my best friends Kelly came down to visit me in Cedar. Now we are roomies. :P With two other awesome/amazing girls. There's Kelly, Kelli Jean and Kitty. I'm stuck with the KKK.... Ha ha. Just teasing I love these girls and out of all of them I'm probably the craziest....

In restaurants I am always the last one to order. And when ever I make a new purchase it takes we like an hour to decide if I'm going to buy it after all.... This is the kind of person I am and I realize other people are wired differently. However I still feel as though people should be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN 100 PERCENT!

I've seen students and friends of mine get married and divorced in the two and a half years of my college life.

Now I hear the uproar! Just be patient and wait! Hear me out! Or stop reading right now.

It's true that sometimes it's just right and people just know it. Honestly my mind can't really wrap around that concept yet, but I trust others and their judgments.

I'm just saying is before you get married at least know the person for a few months before you marry them. Preferably longer, in my opinion, (but what do I know?) so you can see the "real" them. So whether you do this by dating them or being their friend get to KNOW the real them. And when you start to date them I would still say it takes a long time before you get to know the "real" person they are.

In dating we put our great faces forward and that's great.

For example, in my case I wear make-up. Make-up is one of my security blankets and guys don't see me without it for a really long time.... Shesh I've never really been in the stage where I'm comfortable with a guy seeing me without it. So I don't want to marry someone who thinks the make-up less me is ugly.

Some people might suggest that it's my fault that guys don't see the real me. But I'm just saying there are different levels of being comfortable with someone and my make-up scenario is an extreme case.

I knew a girl at Snow who decided after the first date the guy was the one. The end result was after getting engaged and more then toes and fingers where stepped on... they figured out it wasn't right.

I just think that sometimes things are a little rushed. So take it easy. You HAVE to learn to love yourself before you can let someone truly love you. And I believe that with all of my heart.

Why does everyone want to get married right away anyway? In Utah the majority of individuals are LDS*. So we believe when we get married in the temple it is for time and all eternity. So if we have all of our lives and eternity with our special someone.... Why not spend a little time figuring yourself out?

And yes I realize some people that's their goal: They want to get married and have kids. That's great and dandy to. I understand you. That's what I want to! I'm soooo ecstatic about having a family and someone who I can tell everything to and have that best friend. However I want to prepare for the worst and also I want to have some time for myself to figure things out.

I'm not saying wait till your 40 or so... I'm just saying wait a little bit. Around the states in the U.S. getting married at 25 is early. So if your freaking out... don't worry. Trust me, when the time comes it will happen. I full heartily believe that one-hundred percent!! God knows what we want but he especially knows what we NEED.

I know I NEED to figure myself out and how to take care of myself before I can even think of someone relying completely on me... and I know God knows that about me to. So as for you are concerned…. I'm not trying to tell you how you feel... I'm just expressing how I feel about this whole topic in a nutshell.

So for now... I'm just interested in dating and having fun.
.........................


*LDS: Latter Day Saints

4 comments:

  1. First off...cute picture!
    Second off... You're CRAZY!
    Heels are to be worn on special occasions... to church, maybe a fireside...possibly a wedding, a funeral...those types of things.

    Sneakers,flats, flip flops and uggs until then :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha. thanks. Lol.

    As for the heels they need to be worn more than that. ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just need to say that you're a genius...and I totally agree! I'm 26 and not married and it's been a huge blessing thus far. I know a girl who's told me on multiple occasions, "If I'M not married by the time I'm 26 I'll just DIE!" It kinda makes me sick to think how many people there are with that attitude. Be confident in who you are and all things come with time. You've said it well and I'm completely with you on this one!

    ReplyDelete